Leaving The Cocoon is a team of women who provide one-on-one mentoring to inmates in the Tennessee Prison for Women and continue to invest time with them after their release. A mentor provides loving support and encouragement, the likes of which many of the prisoners have never experienced before. In many instances, our volunteers are the first person in the prisoner’s life who have made them feel that they actually matter.
Where We Serve
Leaving the Cocoon and our mentors perform one on one mentoring and counseling is done at the Tennessee Prison for Women, Nashville, TN.
When released, we mentor women who have gone through other prisons, but moved to Nashville
Become a Mentor
In order to become a mentor with Leaving the Cocoon, you must first meet the following criteria:
- Be a Christian of any denomination
- Be approved by the director at LTC
- To go into the prison, you must be able to pass a background check
- For outside the prison, your crime must be at least 2 years old
- Must apply online with the state of Tennessee
- Pass a background check
- Fill out appropriate paperwork with LTC
- Must attend PREA training with the state and training as mentor with LTC
While the mentee is incarcerated, mentors are required to visit twice a month and correspond in between visits.
Helping someone to make life changes; which helps other family members
Leaving the Cocoon has trained over 150 mentors, including mentors for Sumner and Knox County Jails, Project Return, and other organizations.
LTC has worked with over 800 women since 2003.
Interested in Becoming a Mentor?
Contact Vicki Harvey-Helgesen:
- (615) 403-1313